Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cowgirl Dressage?

So, now that CJ has his feet on the rebound (positive thinking is important here), I am moving on to the rest of this poor malfunctioning body. I have him on Rice Bran since he is a hard keeper, B-L for pain/inflammation, and of course a joint supplement. I don't think that's too much. Some folks may think so, but...

His feet look better. A lot better.





I'm guessing, though, that he's still pretty crabby and bulking about going forward because everything else still hurts. Makes sense. So, my final effort is to get some bodywork for him and then a saddle-fitting. I'm already fully aware that my absolute favorite saddle doesn't fit him. I do believe he's one of those difficult-to-fit horses that really is just better off in an english saddle...this has been all but confirmed by a saddle-fitter friend of mine that I vented to. So, I'm left with bareback, which is fine with me. Oh, and probably dressage...:)

I have nothing against dressage. Matter of fact, dressage and my style of training share many of the same principles. But, I am, through and through...100% cowgirl. Always have been, always will be...even when I showed jumpers. So, now I guess my navicular QH gelding and I will start a new venture together on this...we'll keep you posted.

Worse come to worse, I think I'm prepared to retire my buddy next fall if I can't help him. Not an easy decision to make, but very possibly the only decision that is right for him. After all, that's all that matters.

3 comments:

  1. Could not agree more! Dressage and western have a lot in common! You have seen that you tube video that was floating around of the dressage and reining guy riding together right I love it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrYOQ52U3LQ

    There are some pretty deep seated dressage saddles out there-- you will have no problem finding one you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK_ first- QUIT! He is NOT a true Navicular case. OK? OK!! By next fall, CJ the Wonder Pony will be doing much better. Keep on with your trimmer, and keep on with the care you give him, and he WILL improve. I Promise- I've seen it and done it several times.

    And I'll be right there with you with the Dressage work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a difficult fitter for a saddle and since I lack the balance I once had, due to MS, I ended up with an awesome aussie saddle, gives me the feel of a western, yet fits more like an English. Works well for my girl! And me!

    ReplyDelete